Spruce Up Your Kitchen Cabinets
by Miriam Kasdan
Better Homes and Gardens shares some kitchen cabinet recreations from Kitchen Makeovers Magazine. If your kitchen cabinets are ready for a change, be it replacement or refacing, read on.
- Triple Play. With a little creativity and elbow grease, you can revive almost any kitchen cabinet door, and give your whole kitchen a new look. For example, a flat cabinet door can be dressed up with three colors of paint. Separate the colors with molding to add dimension.
- Cork Creativity. Applying cork to a kitchen cabinet door face is a great way to mask any imperfections.
- Aged and Embossed. Light distressing, highlighted by a dark stain, adds interest to an ordinary-looking kitchen cabinet door. Apply embossed wallpaper to the center panel for an extra decorative touch.
- Distinctive Diamonds. Use wood stain to create an eye-catching design on your kitchen cabinet doors. Add a finish coat of clear polyurethane to help protect the design.
- Glass Act. After removing the center panel of your kitchen cabinet door, order a replacement piece from a glass shop. Glass choices include clear, frosted, seeded or ribbed. Go for a unique look, and show off your pretty dishware inside.
- Molding Metamorphosis. Applying some molding to any plain-looking kitchen cabinet door can mean the difference between boring and beautiful.
- Sheet Metal Shimmer. Patterned sheet metal gives a contemporary look to any kitchen cabinet door.
Consult with a kitchen design professional for advice on how to implement these creative tips. Use one or more of the ideas for your kitchen cabinet doors, and it will look like you've remodeled the whole room, for a fraction of the cost.
About the Author
Miriam Kasdan specializes in marketing and home improvement features. She earned a B.A. in Sociology from the University of California at Berkeley.