Kitchen Cabinet Wish List
by Miriam Kasdan
When thinking about the kitchen cabinets you plan to have refaced or replaced, you might want some new ideas. Here are some tips to give this important part of your kitchen some snazzy yet practical and functional appeal.
- Kitchen Cabinets with Old World Appeal. These cabinets boast features like slotted plate racks, which add transparent style.
- Unfolding Pantry. As long as you're refacing your kitchen cabinets, why not include a pantry that fits under the counter? This is ideal for kitchens that have no room for tall pantries. With swing-out shelves, you can view the contents from several angles.
- Visible Dish Storage. Now's the time to show off your beautiful china and glassware. While having your kitchen cabinets refaced, replace a solid door with one that has glass panes, to provide a peek inside. It's both decorative and practical, as it keeps out the dust.
- Full-Service Island. If your kitchen has an island, add display and book storage to it, or install a wall cabinet.
- Curve Appeal. Even small kitchens can be chic, with a few key cabinets modeled in a curved-front style.
- Towel Storage. Why not set aside a cabinet for towels? Take them out of the cupboard, and add an open shelf and handy pullout towel rack.
- Specialized Storage. Have heavy-duty drawers designed that hold stacks of dinnerware at a lower level. This eliminates having to lift heavy china high overhead.
Review some of these ideas with a kitchen cabinet professional, and find out if your new kitchen can incorporate some of these enviable features.
About the Author
Miriam Kasdan specializes in writing marketing and home improvement features. She earned a B.A. in Sociology from the University of California at Berkeley.