Exciting New Kitchen Cabinet Trends
by Miriam Kasdan
E-Mail to a Friend
Printer Friendly Version
Attendees to the 2005 Kitchen/Bath Industry Show reported some interesting trends in kitchen cabinets, including simplicity and elegance, deep rich tones, natural finishes, and contemporary looks. Let's explore some of these trends further.
- Nothing is left to chance. Today's kitchen cabinets feature interior dividers, slide-out shelves, and turntable units. Every nook and cranny of the kitchen is being plotted, in terms of space.
- Pots and pans are being stored in drawers with heavy-duty drawer glides, where they're easier to get to than the cupboards where they used to be kept.
- Consumers are going for thicker kitchen cabinet doors - from -inch to one-inch-thick - because greater thickness suggests higher quality.
- Glazed, distressed, and antique finishes are replacing ornate details on many high-end kitchen cabinets.
- Painted finishes are holding their own, with off-white and oyster getting the most attention. Vibrant colors like cranberry and orange seem to fall in and out of favor.
- The "unfitted" look has strongly influenced kitchen cabinet design. Manufacturers are looking to create individual pieces of furniture, because open-plan kitchens also include family rooms, living rooms, and dining spaces.
- As kitchens expand in size and complexity, consumers are requesting "mixed orders," which feature work islands, wet bars, baking centers, and butler's pantries. These amenities come in contrasting cabinet styles, colors, finishes, and types of wood.
Now you're armed with all the information you need to reface or replace your kitchen cabinets and have the best looking kitchen on the block.
About the Author
Miriam Kasdan specializes in writing marketing and home improvement features. She earned a B.A. in Sociology from the University of California at Berkeley.
Get a Cabinet Remodeling Estimate Now
Featured Cabinet Refacing Companies
Home Depot offers custom-built cabinet doors delivered and installed by a team of licensed professionals in just two to three days. Request a free, in-home consultation. Learn More »
Sears Home Improvement Services
This is an advertisement
. Dramatically improve the look of your kitchen with help from Sears-find out how to save $500 on select custom cabinet refacing or kitchen remodeling. Learn More »